Sunday, 18 January 2009

18th Jan

Jan18th
We travelled up the 620 miles from Accra to Tamale on Friday and finally
arrived eleven hours later at dusk.
I was really excited to finally meet my new house mates, Tim and Kim and to see where I would be living for the next 12 weeks I was given a warm welcome and a cold drink. The next day Kim and I bought curtains and rugs for our rooms at the market in Tamale. Our house is 8 km outside the town and we travel everywhere by a ‘shared taxi’ as these act as buses. The taxi driver just keeps picking up passengers until he can’t fit anymore in!

We have a large house with 4 bedrooms and a garden. The garden is always full of the local goats and chickens- this is actually very useful for us as they eat all the left over food and some of the rubbish. There is no rubbish collection at all- everything has to be burnt, buried or eaten by the goats!

The local children also come in to say Hello and pick up the almonds that have dropped. They are also happy to take away some of the plastic bottles which they sell to the ladies in the market for their palm oil.
Tomorrow is Monday and I am. going to the Ghana Education Service office (GES) to meet my new boss, the metropolitan .director

I am writing this from an internet cafĂ© 15 minutes walk from our house and now that I have reduced the size of the photos I hope that I can publish them- but it’s a very slow connection. Hope you are all very well.