Wednesday, 4 February 2009

My birthday!

Yesterday was my birthday and it really was a wonderful day.
I had arranged to buy some food for break for all the teachers at school and it became a really lovely party. The tables were set outside and laden with guinea fowl, fried rice, noodles, salad and baked beans but before we could tuck in Madam told everyone how old I was and they all sang 'Happy Birthday'. Their version has 4 verses. They have the same tune as us- the second verse is'How old are you...' V3 was my response- sung of course and they finished with v4 'May God bless you..' We then had prayers thanking God for the food and asking for blessings and good health for 'mother'-me!(Mother is a term of respect- due to my great age!) I was then presented with a card and gifts of cloth that I can take to the tailor- I was completely overwhemed with their generosity and kindness. The children also sang to me- all four verses.

I then had lunch of delicious ground nut (peanut)soup and chicken with Kim at the chop bar opposite our house.

The day finally finished with another party at the Jungle Bar with VSO buddies, games and even more gifts! I am so moved by everyones kindness and all the birthday messages I receieved from home. Huge thanks!
Today is another day and very different. I taught Maths again and borrowed some slates from KG1 which I used to teach a small group outside the class on the veranda - they really loved hiding their answers and then showing me. Two of the circuit supervisors happened to be there as they had come to see how I was getting on. I shall go to the office next week as I need to have some access to local heads so that we can discuss and share ideas.

Liz (HT support like me) is coming from Bolga tomorrow and we are going to share training ideas. Despite the 39C I cleaned away the cobwebs swept and washed the floor, removed lizards and spiders and then went for a cold shower. NO WATER! So lets hope there is enough for a 'bucket bath' and if it does not come back we will have to buy some. Tamale has plenty of water there just seems to be a problem gettingit in the pipes. Appparantly the whole area was without water for quite a while in Novemeber.

We have hired a car and driver to take Liz, Kim and I to the Mole National Park this weekend. We should be able to see elephants and other animals- I can't wait!