Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Independence Day

March 6th
Independence Day
Every child in Ghana knows that Independence Day is 6th March; they sing this as part of their morning routine. They also all recite their pledge with their hand on their heart; a powerful way of reinforcing their pride in their national identity.

National Pledge
I promise on my honour
To be faithful and loyal to Ghana my Motherland
I pledge myself to the service of Ghana.
With all my strength and with all my heart
I promise to hold in high esteem
Our heritage, won for us through the blood
and toil of our fathers;
And, I pledge myself in all things
To uphold and defend the good name of Ghana.
So help me God

March 6th is a public holiday; marked by parades and a public reflection in the press of how much has been achieved in the last 52 years together with the challenges ahead. Britain ruled Ghana for about 60 years and has been independent now for 52 years. I am still often introduced to classes as a headteacher from Britain ‘they used to be our colonial masters’ the tem makes me feel uncomfortable but seems to be used as a term of affection.
was thrilled when Kanvilli Presby (the school I have been most closely working with) was chosen to march in the parade.
I met the HT, Asesumawu, at Jubilee Park at 7.00am. Quite an early start for me! We assembled the excited children, chosen both for their marching prowess and to represent each class. Teachers, Robert and Moona, were also there to march with the children. They all looked very smart and wore white gloves for the occasion.

The parade ground was spotless and had been sprayed by the Fire Brigade to keep the dust down; even so I was covered in a thick layer of brown dust when I arrived home.

The Anniversary parade started promptly at 8.00 in the presence of the new Regional Minister A splendid military band led the military and police contingents march on parade. This was followed by the colourful arrival of the Chiefs (a very important political and social group). Their cars drove onto the parade ground covered with their followers; drumming, singing, crouching in homage and swirling enormous ceremonial umbrellas. Wonderful!
There were speeches and awards, followed by a march past that included the chosen schools. Although the ceremony finished at 10.30it was still a long very hot wait for all the participants. The First Aiders were kept busy with their stretchers.

Afterwards the town was thronged with people but I made my escape to recover in an air conditioned restaurant.